Wednesday, October 9, 2013

In the News - A Community Comes Together

While sifting through all of the wonderful posts on Edmodo and Twitter about this year's Global Read Aloud, I discover the link below.  The article/news clip features a woman with cerebral palsy who uses a revolutionary device to help her communicate.  I would like to share this with my students to give them yet another perspective of what life can be like with CP.  My students are so open and willing to learn about others - they are truly amazing kids.  Books like Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper will help shape my students into empathetic and understanding individuals!

Woman with cerebral palsy thanks community for giving her a voice | CTV Atlantic News

1 comment:

  1. The video clip will help students to actually see what the character in Out of My Mind struggles with daily, and also how technology opens windows of opportunities. We need to keep pushing the discovery qualities of technology to be assistive devices for those who cannot communicate in other ways. I recently read of a camera that is used by blind people to take pictures. I was amazed that those who are blind would be interested in this form of technology. I hope to find the article. I tweeted a link to the article about a week or so ago, but am not sure if I stored a copy of it in my Diigo Library or Pocket account. If so, I will share it with you, as you might want to share it with your students.

    ReplyDelete