Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Skyping to Discover

While poking through the sample blogs, I discovered one that really inspired me!  The teacher uses Skype to connect with other classrooms across the country, but refers to it as a "Mystery Skype."  The two connected classes have to give clues to one another to figure out which states they are from by sharing facts and fun trivia.  I LOVE this idea because we study regions in the United States and I would like to connect with classrooms in each region rather than simply studying from our sorely outdated textbooks.  Using Skype would make this unit extra exciting!!!

Click here to check out Mrs. Alaniz's Class Blog!


2 comments:

  1. What a exciting way to learn about geography. For one it provides current information and two the children are collecting information to share with an authentic audience.It makes me think of using skyping for my Pre-K students learning about weather and comparing weather patterns across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to let you know both Kathy Cassidy and Will Richardson want to Skype with our class. I am also going to an elementary school in Durham, CT (Korn Elementary) to watch two Skype sessions as the students connect with other classes to share their stories about Dot Day. Will report back in class this week.

    ReplyDelete